Personal Injury and Damages Claims in NSW and Queensland

Motor vehicle accidents are an unfortunate part of driving on NSW and Queensland’s busy roads. Often, they cannot be avoided as there are many negligent drivers who do not pay full attention to traffic conditions. Some of the most common causes of a motor vehicle accident are being hit by a driver:

  • under the influence of alcohol or drugs;
  • who is distracted by an electronic device like a phone, or when eating or drinking;
  • who is fatigued. 

Any driver who does not pay full attention to driving may cause a serious accident leading to severe, life changing injuries to victims as well as expensive damage to the motor vehicle/s. If you have been the unfortunate victim of a car accident you may have the right to claim personal injury compensation from the at-fault driver’s insurer. The claim is filed against the compulsory 3rd party (CTP) insurer of the owner of the vehicle who caused the accident. If the claim is successful the compensation should cover the following:

  • lost wages since the accident happened and future lost wages as well until you are able to return to work;
  • medical treatment, including rehabilitation costs, such as physiotherapy to help restore your health;
  • damages calculated for the unexpected pain and suffering endured due to the accident;
  • the cost of repairs to the damaged vehicle.

At Main Lawyers we ensure you get the full value of your personal injury claim including the repair or replacement of your vehicle. This helps to make sure you do not suffer financially as a result of an accident that was not your fault.

Time limits for making a claim

Even if you are seriously injured and you are unable to pursue a personal injury claim until you have recovered sufficiently, you are still subject to the deadlines imposed for serving a claim. Legislation in most states, including Queensland and New South Wales, requires that you lodge a Notice of Accident Claim Form (or equivalent) with the at-fault driver’s insurer within 6 months (in NSW) and 9 months (in QLD) of the accident date or within one month of consulting a personal injury lawyer in QLD about filing a claim, whichever is the earlier date. There are also requirements to report any injury sustained in a motor vehicle accident to the Police within 28 days. If you fail to lodge a notification or claim within these time frames, you will have to provide an acceptable explanation which could result in your claim being rejected because you have failed to comply with the deadline.

Hiring a Brisbane lawyer for a personal injury claim

for both your injury, the loss of any personal effects in the accident as well as damage to your vehicle. We ensure that we negotiate with the at-fault driver’s insurer to get the most compensation possible so you don’t suffer financial hardship in a motor vehicle accident that was not your fault.  We ensure your claim is filed before the deadline so that you get the compensation you deserve. Contact us for your free initial consultation.

Recent Articles

Compensation for lost earnings after a permanent disability

If you suffer a personal injury, such as a car accident or an accident at work, you may be eligible to claim compensation to cover lost earnings while you recover. But if you suffer a more serious physical or mental illness or injury, you may never fully recover or...

Factors that affect the value of your car accident claim

In Queensland, every car registration comes with CTP insurance. This protects you if you’re injured in a motor vehicle accident caused by someone else – whether you’re a driver, passenger, scooter rider or even pedestrian. If your relative or dependant has died in...

Why Settle A Personal Injury Claim Rather Than Go To Court?

In Australia, most personal injury claimed are settled without the need for a court. The legislation even encourages this, by requiring parties to attend a ‘compulsory conference’ to try to agree on a settlement before starting court proceedings. Is this the best...

Do You Get Sick & Annual Leave On Workers Compensation

In Australia, all workers except casuals accrue 4 weeks of paid annual leave each year, as well as other benefits like sick leave. This leave accumulates based on your ordinary hours of work. But what happens to your leave if you suffer a work-related injury and...

Top Causes Of Medical Negligence

All medical professionals must treat every patient with skill and care. In Australia, we’re lucky to have doctors, dentists, nurses and other health professionals who bring a wealth of skill and care to their job. But sometimes medical treatment doesn’t meet the...

No-fault Accident Compensation Schemes

If you suffer a catastrophic injury in Queensland, your life will change forever. So it’s good to know there is a no-fault accident compensation scheme that can provide funding for the services and support you need – perhaps even for the rest of your life. Find out...

Am I Covered If I’m Injured on a footpath in Queensland

Every day, people in Queensland suffer an injury while they’re using public footpaths. Many injuries are simple cuts and bruises, but others are more serious – broken bones, or even brain or spinal injuries. It’s important to know whether you can make a...

Will I lose my job if I claim workers compensation?

If you’ve suffered a work-related injury or illness, you probably want to recover and get back to normal as quickly as possible. Getting back to work is an important part of getting your life back on track. Research shows that returning to work can help speed up...

Whose Insurance Pays In A Car Accident

Most people purchase insurance for their vehicle and then don’t think about it again – until they’re involved in a car accident. If the worst happens, it’s important to understand your insurance, including whose insurance pays in a car accident and what happens...