A compensation lawyer can assist you to make a compensation claim for injuries or harm you have suffered due to someone else’s negligence.
When you’re in a vulnerable state, you need a lawyer you can trust to work on your behalf and get you everything you’re entitled to, including lost income and medical expenses. But finding the right compensation lawyer for you can often be difficult.
Types of Compensation Claims
The first thing to know is what type of compensation claim you need to make. Then you can find a lawyer with experience and success in that area. Here are just a few types:
- workers compensation – for injuries in the workplace or due to your work
- medical negligence compensation – for injuries caused by a medical professional
- public liability compensation – for injuries in a public place
- other personal injury compensation – for injuries caused by motor vehicle accidents, product defects, animal bites and more.
How a compensation lawyer can help
Personal injury law can be complex, and you may not get the full amount you’re entitled to if the process isn’t followed correctly. Additionally, you may find it difficult to focus on the claim while recovering from your injuries.
A compensation lawyer helps by working on your behalf to follow every step correctly, meet legal time limits and explore every avenue to get you what you deserve. This includes:
- helping you collect evidence to prove your case
- attending the compulsory conference to negotiate a settlement
- helping you prepare for court if necessary
- getting you access to disability insurance funds from your superannuation if relevant.
Choosing the right compensation lawyer for you
Not all compensation lawyers are created equal, so you should ask the right questions to get the right legal assistance for your case. So what should you look for?
- Experience – Your lawyer must have experience and success in your particular area of law.
- Qualifications – Your lawyer must be suitably qualified in compensation law in your state. (Different states may have different accreditation.)
- Costs – Your lawyer should explain the details of their “No-win No-fee” promise. In particular, will they pre-pay case expenses and disbursements, like medical reports and court fees, until your settlement? Or will you have to pay this upfront?
- Contacts – Your lawyer should tell you who is working on your case and your main contact throughout the case. Will a senior lawyer or paralegal do most of the work?
- Testimonials and references – You should check what previous clients say about the lawyer they worked with. You’ll usually find testimonials on the lawyer’s website, but make sure they’re genuine!
- Empathy and honesty – Does your lawyer answer your questions simply? Or do they evade questions and over-promise? Your lawyer should provide honest, clear answers to your questions and show empathy for your situation.
Getting Assistance From Main Lawyers
It’s important to get legal assistance as soon as possible after your accident, as there are many steps to follow and time limits to meet when making a compensation claim.
However, you should never rush the process of finding the right lawyer. Avoid choosing one based on word of mouth, as someone else’s lawyer may not be right for your case. They might not have the right qualifications or be a good fit for you.
At Main Lawyers, finding the right compensation lawyer for you is easy as our compensation lawyers tick all the right boxes. Contact us today for a free, no-obligation chat to find out how we can help.